Today’s the day. Joe Biden will soon be sworn in as the 46th president of the United States, with a promise to “Build Back Better” from the unprecedented public health and economic crises facing the nation at the close of President Donald Trump’s time in office.
If you’re looking for links to reading about what a Biden presidency might accomplish, look no further. In addition to the latest round of news coverage of the transition, culminating today with Biden’s inauguration, you’ll also find links below to previous news and analysis from throughout the 2020 presidential election as well as the intervening months between Biden’s historic election and today’s Inauguration Day.
Biden comes into office with big plans for the federal government’s coronavirus response, housing policies, infrastructure planning and spending, economic development. In fact, many of the most closely watched themes for the success of the Biden administration of living up to its campaign promises will be measured in terms of direct relevance to the professional and academic planners of the world—metrics like housing affordability, carbon emissions, vehicle miles traveled. Planetizen will be just as vigilant on the proposals and advancement of policies relating to these causes during the Biden Administration as it was for the previous administration.
The Biden administration is also significant for the historic accomplishment of Vice President Kamala Harris, who becomes the highest-ranking elected female in the history of the federal government, and only the second BIPOC to be elected to the Executive Branch, after former President Barack Obama. Harris becomes Vice President at a time of intense racial conflict, at least some of which can be traced to the backlash from the election of President Obama in 2008.
Latest News and Analysis on the Promise of the Biden Administration
- Get Ready for the Biden Stimulus (The Philadelphia Citizen, January 13, 2021)
- Biden Outlines $1.9 Trillion Spending Package to Combat Virus and Downturn (New York Times, January 14, 2021)
- American Cities See Their Luck Turn With a Biden Administration (Bloomberg CityLab, January 15, 2021)
- What Biden’s lack of support for the Green New Deal means for cities (City Monitor, January 17, 2021)
- What Do Housing Advocates Expect from the Biden Administration? (Next City, January 19, 2021)
- Leaders praise local provisions in Biden’s recovery plan (Smart Cities Dive, January 19, 2021)
Previous Planetizen Coverage of Vice President Kamala Harris
Previous Planetizen Coverage of the Prospects for the Biden Administration
- What Biden’s First 100 Days Will Look Like for Transportation (January 5, 2021)
- An Infrastructure Proposal for Biden’s First 100 Days in Office (December 25, 2020)
- Housing Field Reacts to Marcia Fudge HUD Nomination (December 24, 2020)
- Biden Diversifies Cabinet With EPA Administrator, Interior Secretary Picks (December 21, 2020)
- Biden Selects Energy Secretary and New National Climate Advisor (December 18, 2020)
- Mayor Pete Is Biden’s Pick for Transportation Secretary (December 16, 2020)
- What Biden’s Win Could Mean for Land Use, Transportation, and Climate (November 10, 2020)