Whether you’ve been with your partner for a year or decades, it’s always worth celebrating your anniversary. Your anniversary is a milestone in your marriage and an opportunity to reconnect, reminisce, and simply enjoy your time together. If you want to experience the excitement and joy of your wedding day without the stress, a couple’s anniversary cruise may be the romantic escape you’re dreaming of.
Table of contents
In this post, we’ll show you reasons to take a cruise for your anniversary and how we can make it happen at Windstar.
Why You Should Take an Anniversary Cruise
While there’s nothing wrong with having a candlelit dinner at home for your anniversary, traditional ideas can’t compare to a cruise. Taking a cruise for your anniversary is an unforgettable way to celebrate your relationship and strengthen the bond you share with your spouse. Here are seven reasons to take your love to the sea:
1. Visit Romantic Destinations
Romance keeps the passion alive in a relationship and is essential to keeping your connection strong. Romance includes small, everyday gestures that show affection as well as new and exciting activities that enhance your marriage.
When you take a cruise on your anniversary, you’ll face an abundance of opportunities to explore some of the most romantic places on earth. Everyone has their own definition of romance, so choose a destination that fills both of your hearts with joy. Here are some ideas:
- Alaska: If you and your spouse crave outdoor adventure, you’re sure to find romance in Alaska’s rugged beauty. From wildlife-watching to witnessing the majesty of fjords and glaciers, Alaska abounds with surprises around every turn.
- Caribbean: Do balmy weather, secluded beaches and hidden coves spell romance to you? You’ll find plenty of spots to sneak away with your spouse in the Caribbean and enjoy its cultural and natural treasures.
- Mediterranean: The Mediterranean is considered one of the most romantic — and bucket-list-worthy — regions in the world. Imagine dreamy Venice and its shimmering canals lined with Gothic buildings, or the sun-drenched Amalfi Coast beckoning you to pause and feel the salty breeze wrap around you. It’s hard not to feel bathed in romance when you cruise the Mediterranean.
- Northern Europe: Northern Europe is packed with enchanting locales and unique adventures. You and your loved one might watch the aurora borealis illuminate the night sky or explore Iceland’s mystical landscapes before soaking in a hot spring. Either way, you won’t forget your journey and the spellbinding experience you had together.
2. Leave Planning to the Crew
A cruise is an ideal getaway if you want time and freedom to focus on your significant other. All of the important details will be planned for you, and you won’t have to worry about preparing meals, booking accommodations or arranging transportation. All you have to do is book your cruise, get on board and exhale. You and your spouse can completely unwind and cherish each moment together as you travel.
Even the pre-planning phase is easy. For example, with Windstar Cruises, all you have to do is call one of our Vacation Planners. From there, our Vacation Planner can take care of every detail of your journey, from air travel to shore excursions, for a completely stress-free experience.
3. Pamper Your Partner
Although a cruise is a special gift in itself, you can continue making your partner feel loved and appreciated on board, too. You might treat your spouse to a relaxing massage in the ship’s spa, for example, or share a bottle of champagne on the deck. Also, cruise lines often offer gift packages to celebrate special occasions like anniversaries or honeymoons.
For instance, with Windstar Cruises, you can select the Celebrating an Anniversary package on your cruise, which delivers a bottle of champagne and assorted hors d’oeuvres to your stateroom for a romantic evening in. Or, if you’d like to surprise your other half with a dozen roses, breakfast in bed or chocolate-dipped strawberries on your anniversary, you also have those options. When you take a cruise, you’ll find plenty of ways to shower your spouse with thoughtful gifts, and many of them you can enjoy together.
4. Savor Exquisite Cuisine
Dining out can easily be a romantic experience filled with sensory delights, conversation and intimate moments. There’s a reason why many couples go out for a special meal on their anniversary.
Cruises are perfect for couples who enjoy dining together and trying new foods, especially if they look forward to regional cuisine as they travel. When you take a cruise, you and your spouse will get to sample new flavors wherever you go in the world. Onboard, you can savor a delicious meal at any of the ship’s restaurants and make it a special occasion with champagne and a decadent dessert.
Sailing with Windstar, you can expect passionately prepared, locally sourced dishes inspired by the region’s culture. You can also have your anniversary meal at the restaurant of your choice, whether you want to dine al fresco under the stars or enjoy an elegant setting and attentive service inside the ship. If you prefer to have your celebratory feast in the privacy of your stateroom, cruise staff will be pleased to accommodate you.
5. Enjoy Alone Time
If you and your spouse want to escape hectic schedules and spend some distraction-free time together, step aboard a Windstar cruise ship and let it sail you away. You both won’t have to worry about anything at all as you sail, and you can truly focus on each other. There are countless ways to cherish alone time with your significant other on an anniversary cruise. For example, you might:
- Take in the view: You’ll encounter some of the most jaw-dropping and romantic views you can find when you go on a cruise. Imagine watching the port of call appear from your stateroom or sipping champagne as the sun sets over the sea.You’ll have a chance to stargaze side by side as you sail, under an endless sky that’s free of light pollution. If you find a quiet nook or relax on your balcony, you can enjoy the view, and maybe a bottle of wine, all to yourselves.
- Dance: Dancing is a romantic activity that involves physical contact, coordination and sometimes, a sense of humor. It’s also a sure way to have fun and add excitement to your relationship. If you and your spouse want to dance on your anniversary, head to the ship’s lounge and get ready to feel like newlyweds again.
- Escape the crowds: You and your spouse will get to explore the ports as you please during your cruise. In other words, if you want to bypass tourist attractions and find a secret spot to call your own, you can. If you wish to take a quiet seaside stroll hand in hand or grab a drink at a local cafe, you’ll have the freedom to do so on a Windstar cruise.
- Have breakfast in bed together: Neither of you has to worry about cooking or serving while you cruise. You can both enjoy pampering and stress-free days at sea, including having breakfast in bed. Spend the morning eating, chatting and looking forward to your next destination. If you want to have champagne, dessert and a nap after breakfast, you’re more than welcome to.
- Do nothing at all: Do you want to have a lazy anniversary with your partner?You and your spouse are not required to do anything at all when you cruise. This means if you want to spend your anniversary getting room service and watching movies in your stateroom, you can.
6. Relish New Experiences
New experiences are a vital ingredient in happy relationships, no matter how long you’ve been a pair. According to the American Psychological Association, married couples can revive the romantic feelings they had at the beginning of their relationship by experiencing new and exciting things together.
One of the best reasons to take a cruise on your anniversary is to have access to thrilling experiences and activities you’ve never tried or thought of before. This will zap boredom in your routine, create new memories and build a stronger connection. Some ways to have new experiences on a cruise include:
- Go on excursions: You can book adventurous excursions for your cruise and do activities you and your spouse will thoroughly enjoy together. If you both love spending time in nature, for example, and have always wanted to try kayaking, you might take a scenic kayak tour together. Or maybe you’re both fascinated by new cultures and want to explore a local market, where you can sample foods and take in various sights, smells and sounds.
- Attend classes or lectures: While on board your ship, you’ll have a chance to learn something new with your spouse and have a lot of fun in the process. You might attend a cooking class, for example, or listen to an expert cover a fascinating topic. You’ll have plenty to talk about after your experience, and you might even challenge each other to test your new skills.
- Participate in water sports: Cruising invites you to break out of your normal routine, and one way to do this is to participate in water sports. For instance, on a cruise with Windstar, you’re welcome to use our Watersports Platform as well as our complimentary kayaks, paddleboards and water skis. You and your spouse can enjoy the adrenaline rush of water activities or swim at your leisure, surrounded by the beauty of the blue sea.
- Meet new people: Meeting like-minded people and making new friends is a great way to add fun to a relationship. While on board a cruise ship, you’ll have opportunities to chat with other traveling couples if you wish and create memories you can talk about for years to come.
7. Relax in Cozy Staterooms
You and your spouse will have a cozy stateroom to look forward to every night after a day of adventure — or relaxation. This comfortable, intimate space is perfect for spending time together, sharing conversations and maybe even learning new things about each other.
At Windstar Cruises, you can expect an ocean view in every stateroom, allowing you to glimpse the scenery from the comfort of your bed. If you want to make the journey extra-special, consider booking a suite with a balcony, so you and your spouse can share private mornings and evenings in the ocean breeze.
How Windstar Can Help You Celebrate Your Anniversary
At Windstar Cruises, we understand that your anniversary is a special milestone worthy of celebration. We’ll do what it takes to help you and your spouse enjoy a relaxing, exciting and romantic cruise as you sail to the world’s most extraordinary places. If you travel with us for your anniversary, you can expect the following perks:
- Attentive service: We’ll cater to your needs on your anniversary and every day you’re on our ship. We make sure every guest feels pampered and comfortable around the clock, so you and your spouse can completely unwind and focus on your journey.
- Wedding Vow Renewal package: Our cruise ships make a gorgeous setting for renewing your wedding vows on your anniversary — imagine the endless sea and salty breeze. To help you honor your relationship, we offer a Wedding Vow Renewal package. This package includes an invitation for the ship’s captain to perform the vows renewal ceremony, a bottle of champagne and a cake.
- Small and elegant cruise ships: Windstar Cruises defies stereotypes, and you won’t find massive, crowded cruise ships when you sail with us. Instead, our ships are small, intimate and uncrowded, accommodating no more than 350 guests. While aboard one of our vessels, you and your spouse will find plenty of quiet nooks to relax and get lost in each other’s eyes.
- Romantic itineraries: We carefully curate our itineraries to include the most scenic and romantic destinations in the world, including Greece, Italy and the South Pacific. You’ll have countless opportunities to explore, learn and reconnect with your spouse when you cruise with Windstar.
- Hidden harbors: Our small ships can fit into tinier ports, allowing our guests to experience lesser-known places. If you want to find a secluded beach or peaceful spot to pause with your spouse and take in the view, we’ll help you get there.
- Off-the-beaten-path excursions: We want our guests to enjoy immersive experiences when they cruise, and we’ve planned shore excursions to help make that happen. Many of our tours are small, private and led by experts, allowing you and your partner to dive into the local culture effortlessly.
- Outdoor dining: You’ll find two outdoor restaurants aboard Windstar’s ships – Candles and Star Grill by Stephen Raichlen – for a romantic open-air dinner. If you want, you can make every evening a special date night when you sail with Windstar.
Taking a cruise for your anniversary helps you create new memories, rekindle old feelings and find adventure in unexpected places. If you and your loved one share a passion for travel and immersive experiences or simply want to get away for your anniversary and enjoy a stress-free journey, Windstar Cruises awaits you.
Our Vacation Planners can help you choose the best anniversary cruise for your wants and needs, and take care of every detail. Whether you want to renew your vows on the glittering Mediterranean or feel romance ignite as you explore secret Caribbean coves, we’ll help you make your anniversary unforgettable. To plan your anniversary cruise, browse our cruise options or contact us today.