In the heart of Copenhagen, C.F. Møller Architects has completed the Carlsberg Central Office, a new office of the Carlsberg Group on the same hill that the world-famous Carlsberg Breweries was first established in 1847. Blending historic design influences with a modern aesthetic, the Carlsberg Central Office is a landmark building for the Carlsberg City District, a new 600,000-square-meter, mixed-use neighborhood with residences, offices, retail and restaurants that’s slated for completion in 2024. To meet targets for sustainable and low-energy construction, the office building features durable, natural materials and eco-friendly features including recycled copper and bamboo, solar panels, green roofs, water-saving fixtures and heat recovery ventilation systems.
Continue reading below
Our Featured Videos
Completed last summer, the 23,200-square-meter Carlsberg Central Office consists of three wings, one of which crosses over one of the neighborhood’s main access roads — a design choice that echoes the famous classical gateways characteristic of Carlsberg City. The other two wings frame views of the historic garden and villa of Carl Jacobsen, the Danish founder of the Carlsberg brewery.
All three building wings unite in the central atrium that connects all floors of the building as well as the office areas, both vertically and horizontally, into a “single working community” to foster a sense of collaboration and openness. Employees are also given flexibility with multiple workplace options including “touch-down” temporary workstations, while informal meeting spaces, such as a large staircase furnished with seating pads, encourage spontaneous social interaction.
Large expanses of glazing wrap the exterior to fill the interiors with natural light, which is modulated by vertical slats plated with copper in a nod to the old brewery tanks and historic buildings in the Carlsberg City District. The height of building is also tapered downward to respect the scale of the smaller surrounding houses and Jacobsen’s villa.
Photography by Adam Mørk via C.F. Møller Architects